Memorabilia in the CVM history
College of Veterinary Medicine of Nanjing Agricultural University is time honored for a rich history of veterinary medicine and veterinary education. The first dean of the department was Professor LUO Qing-sheng, who graduated from Kansas State University and was the first DVM in China. In more than nine decades of development, the faculty has developed new disciplines, new clinical treatments and advanced the One Health approach to address complex health issues at the interface of animals, people and the environments. Dedicated to cultivating talents, scientific research, serving society, and spreading culture, CVM has set a high bar for itself and its contributions to the profession of veterinary medicine. Although it’s not possible to chronicle every achievement or feature of every member of the faculty, the following introductions will reflect many people, events and achievements that have made CVM a special institution.
• In 1921, the Department of Animal Husbandry (including the Department of Veterinary Medicine) of Southeast University was founded and enrolled the first group of undergraduate students
• In 1932, Department of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine of Central University was founded.
• In 1935, the academic Journal of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicinewas created.
• In 1944, the department enrolled the first group of graduate students.
• In 1947, the Department of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine was divided into two departments: that of animal husbandry and that of veterinary medicine. Professor Luo Qingsheng was the dean of the Department of Veterinary Medicine.
• In 1952, the Department of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine of Nanjing Agricultural College was reorganized by combining the Department of Veterinary Medicine of Nanjing University, the Department of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine of Zhejiang University, and some veterinarians of the Department of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine of Shandong University.
• In 1954, the length of schooling for undergraduate students was extended to five years.
• In 1972, Department of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine of Nanjing Agricultural College and Department of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine of North Jiangsu Agricultural College were merged into Department of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine of Jiangsu Agricultural College.
• In 1981, the department was authorized the issue of PhD degrees in three disciplines which were veterinary microbiology and immunology, animal anatomy and histology and embryology, and animal physiology and biochemistry.
• In 1984, Nanjing Agricultural College was renamed Nanjing Agricultural University, and the Department of Veterinary Medicine was established; the discipline of animal physiology and biochemistry received the right to confer doctoral degrees; and the major of biological products was given the qualification of enrolling three-year vocational students.
• In 1988, the department started the first enrollment of undergraduate student majoring in veterinary public health.
• In 1989, the discipline of preventive veterinary medicine was rated as a state key discipline.
• In 1990, theKey Laboratory of Physiology and Biochemistry of the Ministry of Agriculture was established.
• In 1994, College of Veterinary Medicine, Nanjing Agricultural University was founded.
• In 1996, the postdoctoral station for veterinary medicine and the Key Laboratory for Animal Disease Diagnosis and Immunization of the Ministry of Agriculture were established.The major of Biological Products stopped enrolling vocational students.
• In 1998, the granting of the first-class discipline of PhD degree and master’s degree in veterinary medicine was authorized to the college.
• In 2000, the National Veterinary Professional Degree Teaching Guidance Committee was established, and the Secretariat was officially instituted in CVM.
• In 2003, CVM enrolled the first group of international student (Ph. D candidates) from Kenya; and the length of undergraduate schooling in veterinary medicine was extended to five years.
• In 2004, the major of Veterinary Pharmacology (a five-year undergraduate major) enrolled the first group of undergraduate students.
• In 2006, the major of Veterinary Medicine was awarded the honor of a brand specialty of Jiangsu Province and won the prize of “Touching China: Leading Institute of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine in Technology & Innovation”.
• In 2007, the first-class discipline of Veterinary Medicine was rated as a national key discipline.
• In 2008, the major of Veterinary Medicine was rated as a characteristic specialty of the Ministry of Education.
• In 2012, the major of Veterinary Medicine was rated as a key specialty of Jiangsu Province.
• In 2014, the major of Veterinary Medicine was approved of as a specialty for the outstanding Agricultural and Forestry Talent Construction Program.
• In 2015, the OIE world reference lab forStreptococcus suiswas set up.
• In 2017, the Joint Laboratory of International Cooperation on Animal Health and Food Safety was established.